STUDY PROGRAMS01/02/2023 2023-02-01 11:52
IRES - BACHELOR OF ARTS IN INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND EUROPEAN STUDIES
This is a 3-year (6 semesters) undergraduate program dedicated to training future experts and leadership in European affairs and international relations.
Linguistic openings for a global labour market
- All courses are taught and examined in English throughout the entire program ;
- All students are also enrolled in specialized English language courses, which help them consolidate their basic language skills and allow them to acquire the relevant vocabulary and linguistic proficiency required by top international employers;
- Students can enroll in other foreign language classes for extra credits;
- Many professors speak at least another foreign language apart from English and their native language.
A truly international experience for a global future
- Around 10-15% of students in each class are foreign nationals who are enrolled for a degree or an exchange mobility ;
- All students can benefit from at least one semester of European mobility in one of the over 70 universities and programs with which the faculty has bilateral agreements (in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Lithuania, the Netherlands, North Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Turkey);
- Every year, for courses or special lectures the program receives guest professors from the US and other countries in Europe and Asia;
- Most professors studied abroad in world class institutions and a part of the teaching staff is also conducting international research projects and has done fieldwork abroad in Europe, Asia and Latin America, often involving students in their research activities;
- Each year, there are several international events organized for the students and to which students can contribute.
The curriculum provides the foundations of international relations with introductory courses on the scientific study and history of international relations, international politics, international governmental and non-governmental organizations, European Union institutions, European Union policies, international political economy, International public law, research design and methodology for international relations, as well as more specialized topics such as global social movements or international conflict management, and area studies – Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America, US. All students are enrolled for one full academic year in internship activities with governmental and non-governmental partners, such as embassies, ministries, media outlets, and top Romanian and international NGOs. All students are also enrolled in specialized English language courses, which help them consolidate their basic language skills and allow them to acquire the relevant vocabulary and linguistic proficiency required by top international employers.
All students are enrolled for one full academic year in internship activities, which are recognized as part of their curriculum and workload for their degree. The organizations targeted for these internship programs are also those in which they can further develop careers in International relations, in Europe or elsewhere:
- governmental institutions such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and foreign embassies in Bucharest;
- representations of various intergovernmental organizations such as the United Nations agencies and the EU institutions;
- top national and international non-governmental organizations (NGOs);
- media outlets with sections dedicated to European or international affairs;
- national and transnational companies;
- academic and/or policy research centers with projects relevant for international relations and/or European studies.
The activities pursued during these internships allow students
- to develop their practical skills in matters related to international relations and/or European affairs;
- to test several areas of interest and find the most appropriate one for them;
- to understand what is expected from them within the labour market;
- to have direct access to potential employers;
- to build professional networks relevant for their future careers, in similar organizations.